MCFA is a not-for-profit volunteer organization with 501(c) (3) status located in Monroe County, Tennessee.
This group was created in 2004 by concerned citizens who recognized a dire need existing throughout the county for animal welfare.
They consulted with the County's governing body and entered into negotiations with the Monroe County government. This led to the
formation of a county-run animal shelter, which was approved by a narrow commission vote at the end of 2004.
The main thrust of MCFA's mission is to support the Monroe County Animal Shelter both monetarily in animal
rescue efforts and with hands-on assistance in the shelter. In addition MCFA provides other community services through its volunteers'
MCFA agreed to supplement the County shelter with additional funds, in-kind donations and volunteer resources
to meet the daily requirements of supplies, medications and food. It provides tremendous enhancements to the shelter through the use
of its volunteer-staffed programs and initiatives. In addition to hands-on animal care and training at the shelter, MCFA takes educational
programs into the schools, provides spay and neuter vouchers to local low-income pet owners and promotes public awareness throughout the community. Today, MCFA consists of approximately 175 members, approximately 60
volunteers and a volunteer nine-member Board of Directors. We have one paid employee, our Exectuve Director.
During the first ten years MCFA rescued over 16,500 animals by creating a number of
programs to promote animal adoption and to support cat and dog re-homing such as:
- Our NY Rolling Rescue program, initiated in 2006 and funded by MCFA in which MCFA transports animals monthly to two shelters in New York state.
- Sought out and arranged for other rescue programs and adoption centers to accept qualified animals from this shelter throughout the mid-west and eastern US.
- Development of the Second Chance Pals program in 2011 which has saved over 200 animals to date.
- Pets For Patriots All honorably discharged, retired or active service people are eligible to adopt older, larger or special needs animals at no cost.
- Development of the Thrift Store where donated goods from the community are processed and resold. This program now in the third
year of operation is a critical part of raising funds that support all the above mentioned services.
We are proud of our success, but we continue to find that the need is always
greater than the amount of help we can provide.
We continue to desire to make a difference in our community here in beautiful East Tennessee. Won't you join us by making a
donation? Whatever you can contribute will be most appreciated.
We are pleased to announce that the recently elected MCFA Board of Directors
have selected Officers for 2021:
- Executive Director: Teresa Underwood (Knoxville)
- President: Jim Barrett (Vonore)
- Vice President: Deb Moore (Tellico Plains)
- Secretary: Walt Marshall (Vonore)
- Teasurer: Glenn Edwards (Sweetwater)
- Asst to the Teasurer: Carol Gramarossa (Vonore)
- Marni Sorrick (Madisonville)
- Robert Korts (Maryville)
- Cindy Klann(Vonore)
- Tom Smith (Coker Creek)
- Bill Kelley (Vonore)
(You may contact any of the Board Members via email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Director of Marketing: Rich Seymour
- Spay/Neuter (SNAP): Jack Wright